[SI-LIST] Re: What's difference between 3.5mm and SMA?

  • From: "D G" <dgun@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 15:44:47 +0800

Eric,

I respectfully disagree about your statement that 3.5mm are more fragile than
SMA connectors.  3.5mm connectors are designed to withstand multiple
connections with excellent repeatability.  SMA, on the other hand, deforms
easily and fails quickly.  Too often, the pin does not adhere well to the
teflon, and pin depth is unreliable.  Of course, some manufacturers are better
than others.

The only distinction in my mind between the two types of connectors is price
vs. performance.  If you want performance and repeatability, use 3.5mm -- but
you will have to pay for it.  If you're only going to make one connection and
need low cost, SMA is the way to go.

--
Daniel

From: "e.sweetman" <e.sweetman@xxxxxxxxx>
>  Moore Mo,
>  Precision 3.5 mm connectors have generally have air dielectric, tighter
> tolerences on pin lengths and centering.  They are also more fragile than
> SMA connectors.  They can often mate with SMA connectors but only with care.
> Agilent calibration sets for their higher frequency VNAs come with dial
> gauges to test pin position.  The female short is especially fragile and can
> be permanently damaged by a damaged male SMA connector or one with a center
> pin which is >5 mils too long.
> Eric Sweetman

List archives are viewable at: