[SI-LIST] Re: What will happen when short the SERDES IO to GND?

  • From: "Ward, Richard" <richard.ward@xxxxxx>
  • To: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, liuluping 41830 <liuluping@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 00:12:34 -0500

As Steve says - it depends.

Many XAUI style output drivers use majority passive termination to positive=
 supply. By connecting the output nods to gnd you'll be bypassing the curre=
nt control stage and starve it.

Most nodes should survive with the (usually) 50 Ohms between rails for shor=
t times. Most will meet the hot plug protection rules. Long times on smalle=
r feature sizes could permanently damage the die due to the high electro-mi=
gration. Depends on the design/linewidths. ESD doesn't tend to catch these =
events unless spikes at insertion/removal occur as well. But assumed you me=
ant a DC short.

"short" or "terminate"? - big difference naturally.

Short will likely kill the signals, risks damage over time, terminate will =
likely give collapsed swing at best.

Regards,
Richard