[SI-LIST] Re: What will happen if differential channel is not symmetric?

  • From: Javid Mohamed <mailjavid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Chen Jikai <yfgchen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:30:16 +0530 (IST)

Asymmetires would also cause some of the differential signal component into
your common signal and therefore increasse EMI.

Javid
Date: Thursday, 23 July, 2009, 1:07 PM

The short answer is YES for both in your case.  Skew is primarily
dependent on the effective permittivity: in microstrip the effective
permittivity is also geometry dependent, so skew (though small) will
also occur.

This kind of asymmetry shows up also in glass-reinforced laminates due
to glass-weave effects even if the two traces are identical in cross
section.    There have been many publications recently on this subject:
one from the SUN team is: DesignCon2007, Santa Clara, CA, January 29-31,
2007, Losses Induced by Asymmetry in Differential Transmission Lines,
posted at http://www.electrical-integrity.com/ >> Paper download.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

Chen Jikai wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been simulating some transmission line structures and one thing popped
> up. What will happen if differential channel is not symmetric? For example,
> suppose I have two coupled microstrips and one's width is bigger than the
> other. Does this mean the channel will suffer from skew and will convert some
> odd mode stimulus to even mode?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at:

      Looking for local information? Find it on Yahoo! Local
http://in.local.yahoo.com/

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: