[SI-LIST] Re: What is the acceptable minimum pre-pregthickness for volume manufacturing?

  • From: "George Dudnikov" <George.Dudnikov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Chris Cheng" <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 17:23:58 -0700

Chris
   ZBC materials are made with specifications for copper foil surface
treatments which reduce/control the surface RMS of the facing planes
thus reducing the probability of dielectric breakdown when the spacing
gets thin.. Before a material gets certified, it goes through a battery
of tests to insure reliability and integrity. The hypot requirement is a
verification that certain compliance standards are met and is required
to be performed to certain prescribed parameters multiple times in the
board fab process. Same applies to the Faradflex and Interra products
which have higher breakdown voltage ratings because there is no glass
cloth.

Concerns with single ply dielectrics apply more to power/ground layers
because of the large areas of opposing copper along with the difference
in potential of the planes.  Single ply for signal layers is actually
quite common and has much less reliability risk.

Regards
George