[SI-LIST] Re: What is the acceptable minimum pre-pregthickness for volume manufacturing?

  • From: "Salkow, Steven" <steven.salkow@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steve Weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, John Andresakis <John.Andresakis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gilles Aminot <aminotg@xxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:58:59 -0700

Gilles:
I may be coming in late on this discussion and the gurus may have
answered all of your concerns. As mentioned earlier, Sanmina and other
top end vendors has some know how in this area. They and other vendors
have dielectrics targeted for this application that have higher Er and
thinner layers (special dielectrics thinner than 1 mil but still very
tough) These vendors have been doing this for 15+ years.

Like many things, there are many ways to skin the cat. You mentioned
recommended thickness some I am assuming you want to stay reasonable. If
you asked your fabricators they will tell you pre-preg is available in 1
mil thickness but it is like the wings of a butterfly and THEY DO NOT
LIKE WORKING WITH MATERIAL THIS THIN. High reliability manufacturing
want to see two layers of pre-preg in a stackup to insure pinholes do
not compromise dielectric withstand. Any material without the copper
cladding cannot be adequately tested for dielectric breakdown. Let say
you had a stackup where the layers went Microstrip gnd power signal.
Normally the stackup would be Microstrip and gnd then prepreg- prepreg
and power. What if it was Microstrip prepreg-prepreg gnd and power. Then
the power ground layer could be a 1 mil copper clad board to start with.
The microstrip layer to gnd was two dielectric layers for higher
reliability at 2 mils each making the min thickness around 4 mils.

Steven Salkow
Lockheed IS&S
3130 Zanker Rd, San Jose
Ca. 94588