[SI-LIST] What is 'Integrated RMS jitter' and how is it measured

  • From: "Henrik G Madsen" <hgmadsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 02:31:25 -0700

Hi
Many specifications for communication chips like Bluetooth and others includes
some jitter requirement for the clock input

The jitter specification could be like
Integrated rms jitter 10kHz - 10MHz (Fref& MHz) < 2 ps rms

I have tried to search the web for a good explanation of this term and how to
measure it and looked at different equipment vendors websites, but so far
without luck. Can anybody point me to some document or like which describes the
term 'Integrated RMS Jitter' and how to measure it?

'2 ps' seems to be a very tight requirement
Additionally, I would think that 'RMS' would require that the distribution was
close to Gaussian, i.e random jitter and not deterministic jitter.

Regards
Henrik G Madsen

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net