[SI-LIST] Re: What are power integrity tools available out there? Anything inexpensive that works?

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>, Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>, Aleksandr Oysgelt <aleks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 10:27:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello Joel,
What we have done is model this behavior through the knowledge of the design.
For example, if we want to understand the effects of a PDN de-coupling strategy
for a DDR3 IO bank, we could model the power supply bank and associated DDR3
data signals with an SIWAVE or PowerSI or your favorite.  The model would
include the section of the chip package (including any bond wire) and board.
We typically can get the Spice model for the IO of the IC and through design
knowledge can input the switching behavior of the DDR3 data.  What is missing
is the on-chip power/ground model.  We have been able to get these models (at
least the last couple of projects I have worked on) but I understand they may
not be available to everyone....depending.  What should be available is the
on-die decoupling model which coupled with the other models will get you real
close to your PDN goals.
Regards,
-Jory

From: Joel Brown <joel@xxxxxxxxxx>