[SI-LIST] Re: What are power integrity tools available out there? Anything inexpensive that works?

  • From: Aleksandr Oysgelt <aleks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 11:45:30 -0800

I am starting to look at power integrity tools and would like to know what
is available and whether there are any "slimmed down" versions that can do
what I need at lower price than full-blown Sigrity-like packages.
Currently we use "spreadsheet" approach where we analytically compute plane
impedance based on self+mounting impedances of various types of caps plus
plane impedance.  This is fairly accurate to 100MHz or so.  However, it does
not help us at all in figuring out where the plane resonances are and where
we should place caps to help with them.

So, here is my wishlist.  I don't require all to be addressed by same tool.
Depending on price - I'd be happy to get just some of the bullet points and
not all.

   - Figure out plane impedance curve
   - Figure out plane resonance - where should we place caps
   - Figure out resistive losses plus current distribution
   - Be able to figure out tradeoffs between using higher capacitance
   plane/ground structure vs using large number of caps vs using different
   types of caps.
   - Do pre and post layout simulation
   - Have non-SI expert be able to run the tools

So far Sigrity and HyperLynx PI (just announced) seem to do the job but at
quite substantial cost.  I keep asking myself a question - what problem do
they solve vs cost (in license fees and training/simulation time) vs using
spreadsheet/simple simulation.  So far I don't have a clear answer - thus I
am asking you for other ideas on approaching the power integrity problem.

Thank you
Aleks

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net