[SI-LIST] Whai's the influence of AC couple capacitor

  • From: Zaiyi Liao <zaiyi.liao@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:58:44 +0800

Hello all:
           I'm simulating the XAUI signal at 3.125GHz, I find that the value of
AC couple capacitor influence greatly. After I change the capacitor from 10nF
to 100nF(both capacitor model is ideal), the simulated eyepattern(eye width and
height) improve greatly.

I think 10nF is enough for XAUI signal, and the thru S-parameter is nearly the
same with 10nF and 100nF capacitor. Can anyone explain how the AC capacitor
will influence eyepattern?

          In real situation, large value capacitor need lager package which
mean lager parasitic inductance. So what is the guideline to select this Ac
couple capacitor??

Thank you all!

BR//Zaiyi Liao

List technical documents are available at: