[SI-LIST] Re: WG: Re:AW: Re: PCB Insertion loss prediction

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx" <bertsimonovich@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 17:36:45 +0000

Thanks Bert, and to all the other excellent responders.  As you and others
note, it's a race between conductor loss, which is aided by the lower Er, and
dielectric loss, which is aided by lower TanD.
For standard FR4 materials (1a -> 1b), higher Resin Content (RC) hurts you: the
higher Df causes significant increase in dielectric loss; the decrease in
conductor loss due to wider trace width (from 4.3 to 4.5 mils to keep Z0
constant with lower Dk) is overwhelmed.
For the low loss materials (2a -> 2b, 3a -> 3b), the conductor loss hugely
dominates, making the behavior distinctly different than for standard FR4
materials.  The small increase in TanD* doesn't do much. But, lower Er forces
wider traces (assuming Z0 is kept constant), decreasing conductor loss
significantly.
* Yes, Df must actually increase, regardless of how it's quoted in Meg-6 spec.
sheets, but the increase seems too small for them to report

#       Mat'l           Const           T       RC      Dk      Df      T
W       S       Z0      Loss
1a      IS370HR 1x2113 PP       3.9     57%     4.02    0.021   1.2     4.3
7.2     85      -0.8
1b      IS370HR 2x106 PP        4.2     75%     3.75    0.0247  1.2     4.5
7       85      -0.84
2a      IS415           1-2116 Core     4       45%     3.98    0.0114  1.2
4.1     7.4     85      -0.632
2b      IS415           1x3313 Core     4       54%     3.76    0.0123  1.2
4.4     7.1     85      -0.628
3a      Meg-6           1x3313 Core     4       54%     3.71    0.002   1.2
4.4     7.1     85      -0.438
3b      Meg-6           2x1035 Core     4       65%     3.46    0.002   1.2
4.7     6.8     85      -0.421

The equations you provided highlight the relative impact of dielectric and
conductor loss for these various scenarios nicely.

I think this example stresses why no simple "rules-of-thumb" will allow us to
accurately predict insertion loss; some form of tool which takes into account
all the complex interactions is needed.

Thanks for all the great insights,
Jeff Loyer