[SI-LIST] Verifying SAS 3.0 (12Gbps) Compliance via Simulation

  • From: edward kowal <kowal_edward2007@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI LIST <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 11:24:22 -0700

All,
I am accustomed to looking at SERDES link performance in terms of required eye
height and eye width, as well as jitter at some point in the signal path.  Of
course, there are also sometimes pure passive requirements such as IL/RL mask.
For SAS 3.0, however, I cannot seem to find either criteria.  Since it is a
"closed eye" spec, there is no eye mask pre-DFE/CTLE.  And all my vendor data
sheet has where I expect to see the jitter requirements is a link to the SAS
3.0 spec annotated as "not available yet."  Are there IL/RL masks for SAS 3.0?
On a somewhat side note, if I run a simulation (HSPICE or IBIS-AMI) and I do
not inject any jitter in the stimulus vector, should I be worrying about RJ,
DJ, or TJ at the receiver?  I remember I use to just add one of those numbers
to the eye mask width and then could simply evaluate pass/fail/margin based on
how much clear room there was around the widest parts of the mask.
Sorry if this is a simple question I could have answered by going to the right
resource, but I've been trying that and spinning my wheels.
Ed

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: