[SI-LIST] Re: Validation of XTK results for clock skews

  • From: Suchitha.V@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mhumphreys@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:30:24 +0500

Hello Marc,

Thanks for your reply.
I have a few clarifications wrt your reply,

a)What is meant by shortest etch segment? In my case, the total length of the
clock is about 7.6" from clock synthesizer pin to the
   CHIPSET_CLOCK pin and from clock synthesizer pin to the  CPU_CLOCK pin.
b) The  FR4 i'm using  has an Er=3.9. The time step i have taken in the
parameter option in XTK is 0.1ns.

Looking forward to your reply,

Thanks & Regards
Suchitha
------------------------------

From: Marc Humphreys <mhumphreys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Validation of XTK results for clock skews
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 09:59:33 -0400

Suchitha

On point b)

> b) Why is there a large difference between simulated and
> practical results?

Check that your timestep is smaller than
the flight time along your shortest etch segment.
What you'll get for a flight time
if this is not the case, is a minumum of
(time step) x (number of segments).
eg 10 segment 0.1 inches long, whith time step
of 0.1ns = 1 ns. It should be more like .16ns.

The other biggest factor would be inaccurate
Dielectric constant. Check with your board vendor
what value to use. FR4 for example can
be as low as 3.6 depeneding on resin content.

Marc

Marc Humphreys
Axiowave Networks, Inc
Marlborough, MA