[SI-LIST] Re: VRM model

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: piyush bhatt <piyush.nithmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:03:58 -0400

Piyush,

The model you reference can capture the natural frequency of the output
filter and the low- and high-frequency asymptotes of the frequency
response, but not the damping.  If you want a simple linear model that
captures also damping, you need to add at least one more parallel R-L
element to the output to model the damping originated from the active
circuit.  If you have access to the book Frequency-Domain
Characterization of Power Distribution Networks, you can find that kind
of model in Section 9.2.2.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
Oracle

piyush bhatt wrote:
> I was trying to generate a voltage regulator model .I got value for
> C2,R1,L2 i took 0.I changed inductor to 10uH to get pulse width equal
> to as in datasheet.But when i change R2 to get same damping.But in
> process ,i changed pulse width also.Finally i was not able to get
> desired model.
>
> I am referring to process as in this website.
> http://www.sigcon.com/Pubs/edn/VoltageRegModel.htm
>
> Please share if anyone have  a better method for generating a VRM
> model for Buck power supply.
>

> Piyush

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net