[SI-LIST] Re: VNA and characterization of long cables

  • From: Mark Filipov <markfilipov81@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 01:02:45 +0200

Hi all!

I have found an reference that says that it seems the longest cable,
we can measure is 10m long.

"With a wiring delay of about 5 ns/m, a 10 m cable has a time delay of
about 50 ns, requiring an equivalent time window of at least 100 ns.
The required frequency interval of 10 MHz sets 10 m as the boundary of
the longest-length cable that can be measured unambiguosly with a VNA"

Source: Signal Integrity Characterization Techniques / edited by
M.Resso & E.Bogatin.

Page: 489, you can read it online on Google books.

But if we have better VNA couldn't we measure longer cables then these 10m?

Best regards, Mark

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: