[SI-LIST] VIA-FillingMaterial

  • From: johny leon <leonjony@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:52:14 +0530 (IST)

Experts ,

Need an advice about VIA filling methods.

I would like to use VIA filling using 'Solid Cu' for through hole, hidden and
Micro VIAs thinking that that would increase the current carrying ability and
connectivity to the planes/tracks. Is this correct?

My board is a high current board ,upto 150A, but for short duration. This board
gets power through , through-hole VIAs from BOT Layter and transfer it to TOP
Layer components(8Layers). FYI: This is not a high speed board.

I thought of providing Solid Cu filling instead of non-conductive fill for VIAs
thinking that would enable VIAs to carry 'current' effectlively. But I'm not
sure about the manufacutrability and other aspects of Solid Cu filling of the
VIAs. I wanted to fill the following VIAs with Cu :
uVia - L1 TO L2 and L8 to L7
Hidden and stacked with the above VIA - L2 to L7
Hidden VIA - L2 to L7

So my questions are :
1. Is Solid Cu filling of VIAs good method compared to non-conductive fill?
2. Conductive fill means Cu fill or PCB Manufactures use any other materials?
3. Are there any other methods , other than Conductive filling of VIAs, to
enable VIAs to conduct heat and 'current' effectively
4. Finally, Is Solid Cu filling a good method???

Thanks in advance,
Johny.

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net