[SI-LIST] Using current measurements to track down secondary discharges

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Si-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:49:10 -0800

 Hi All,
I just posted my latest Technical Tidbit article for February 2011:

Technical Tidbit - February 2011
Using High Frequency Current Measurements to Find Secondary ESD in Equipment

This month's Technical Tidbit describes how to use current measurements to
find secondary discharges during ESD testing of equipment and shows a very
unusual event that may be a new class of ESD problems in equipment.
Abstract: Secondary discharges formed in equipment in response to
applicationof ESD, either simulated or real,  can cause significant problems
ranging from upset ot actual damage of sensitive components. High frequency
current measurements are described that can be used to detect and evaluate
the severity of such secondary discharges. Examples are given.
The last scope plot (Figure 4) appears to be a new form of secondary
discharge that happens in a very common piece of equipment that gets
embeddedinto other products and can cause ESD compliance failures or field
problems. I just give a hint of it here as it appears to warrant a complete
paper or article devoted to it.

Doug
\/ ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _ TEL/FAX:
408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 | q-----( ) | o |