[SI-LIST] Re: Use of Yahoo and other non-specific email accounts

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:37:15 -0500

As with most things, this is about choices.  There is a small, but
growing, number of us who post on the SI-list and choose not to deal
with unidentified postings.  Some of us feel that personal
identification is a small price to pay for the information that is
available here, and ... we're quite frankly tired of endless fishing
expeditions by people who have not done their homework, or who have some
sort of hidden agenda. Many of us are seriously concerned about
exporting knowledge off-shore, or to our on-shore competitors.  We would
like to be able to know enough about the person posting a question, or
response, in order to choose whether or not to read on, or respond.

Others feel, for whatever reason, that they need to remain anonymous.
This too is a choice, with a certain set of consequences.  However, it
is not unusual for list servers to ban addresses from yahoo, hotmail,
and gmail, among the many free mail services out there, generally as a
way of reducing spam, congestion, and other ill-intentions.  Dr Sayre's
request is reasonable, and I think should be taken into consideration.

For those of you who choose to hide behind anonymous postings (for
whatever the reason), remember that you made that choice, and don't
whine when you receive low quality responses.  It costs me nothing to
choose not to respond to your post.  It may, however, cost you a
valuable piece of information, which is otherwise unavailable to you.

As for those who post anonymously, because the company you work for (or
boss) has an issue with it, you may still choose to post under your own
name as a private individual.  There is no legal or ethical delemma here
as long as posting is done outside of your place of work.  If you feel
that this still compromises the company you work for, then you shouldn't
be posting at all, since you apparantly have a fudiciary duty to uphold,
beyond what is required of a normal employee.

Regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org