[SI-LIST] "Unconstrained" shapes for better signal integrity?

  • From: saar drimer <saardrimer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:54:54 +0000

Hello everyone.
Please bear with me until this becomes relevant to signal integrity ;)

I've written an open source PCB design software called PCBmodE

  http://bitbucket.org/boldport/pcbmode
  http://boldport.com/pcbmode

that allows me to design in any shape onto my circuits, on any layer. It's
at a very early stage of development, but I've been designing boards with
it for the past year. You can see examples of my work here:

  http://boldport.com
  http://boldport.blogspot.com
  http://boldport.tictail.com
  http://boldport.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-lifegame.html

http://boldport.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/so-you-want-to-manufacture-your-printed.html

http://boldport.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/an-engineers-emergency-kit-business-card.html

I'm generally looking for applications where 'form contributes to
function', and I think that there is a pretty clear case for this applying
to the signal integrity of high speed digital and analogue design. I'm
exploring the potential of this application space in order to evaluate
whether this is an avenue to concentrate on for PCBmodE development and/or
design work.

I ask for your feedback. Some initial questions:

1. Does the need ever arise for creating traces that are not easily
supported by your EDA suite?
2. Do you ever use third party tools for designing in unconventional (but
functional) shapes into your designs? (Is that process working well?)
3. Is there compelling evidence that the capability to design in arbitrary
shapes contribute to better signal integrity in a significant way?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and helpful!

A bit about me:

I'm an electrical/computer engineer. I've done a lot of FPGA work, circuit
design, and was an academic for a while during a PhD at Cambridge where I
looked into security of hardware devices. Only recently have I started
embracing my artistic side ;)

  https://www.linkedin.com/in/saardrimer

Many thanks for your kind attention.

cheers,