[SI-LIST] Re: Unconnected pins in a connector carrying differentialsignals

  • From: Lieby David <DLieby@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jini_b30@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 11:29:38 -0700

We have been looking at several high speed connectors.  The
characteristics of the connectors for high speed use are
usually carefully specified and well documented.  The ones
we chose have documentation showing how they work with
different wiring and ground pin arrangements.  From what I
saw the ground pattern helps maintian a consistent
characteristic impedence through the connector.
The AMP (Tyco) ZPACK series is a fairly good example.

Good Luck,
dav0
David Lieby, SI Engineering
Acuson Corporation, a Siemens Company

Jineshwari Baratharajan wrote:

> Hello SI Experts,
>
> We are designing for a very high speed system which
> carries a 3.125Gbps differential signals onto another
> card. The connector which interfaces the two cards has
> lot of free pins.
> Will connecting the free pins to ground do any good in
> terms of crosstalk/SI.
> Or should we leave the pins free.
> Any Suggestions.
>
> Regards,