[SI-LIST] Re: USB grounding issue

  • From: Jory McKinley <jory_mckinley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "SSantangelo@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <SSantangelo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 14:06:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Steve,
You potentially have unwanted coupling between your high speed USB current
return, chassis ground and digital ground if I understand your design
correctly.  Under the Edge Fingers of your USB device I understand that you
have chassis ground shape this is where you get your potential coupling path.
I would use a separate grounding structure under your USB Edge Fingers which
then ties to your chip/controller.  This ground will tie to the chassis but
through Beads. Be careful where you place the grounding structure in the
stack-up as the impedance discontinuity is important, you want to hit 90ohms
differential so you will want to simulate this structure with a 3D solver.
You probably do not have easy access to your active device(s) but using a VNA
or Scope on your various grounds you could pick up the spectral noise coupling.
 You should be able to setup a relatively quick simulation that shows you where
your coupling is occurring and then you can see where by breaking the chassis
ground to digital ground connection will reduce the coupling noise.
Regards,
-Jory