[SI-LIST] Re: Two requests

  • From: Fred Townsend <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:23:45 -0800

Doug Brooks wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is certainly a "less-than-challenging" pair of questions for our list,
> but I know many of you can answer anything!
>
> 1. If a single signal bus is spelled "bus", what is the plural? Buses, or
> busses?

I always thought it was busi but what do I know.

> 2. Can someone direct me to a web page with a schematic of a well designed
> cable TV signal splitter. I've taken a Radio Shack one apart, and there
> HAVE to be better designs! I'm curious what a good one looks like.

Seriously...   I only know of one type of cable splitter.  It uses resistors
which produce 6db loss (per leg) in the resistors alone. Yes the ones the cable
companies use are better built but they still use resistors and therefore are
very lossy.  I use a table for attenuator pads in my old Allied Radio
Electronics Handbook when I make my own splitters.

By chance are you thinking of RF couplers which are basically RF transformers?

Fred Townsend

> Thanks for the off-topic help
>
> Doug Brooks

> List archives are viewable at: