[SI-LIST] Troubleshooting Technique for System Cables for high frequency noise (such as ESD)

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 21:55:42 -0800

 Hi Everyone,
Just finished and posted my latest Technical Tidbit, for January 2009. As
always, the picture of the test setup at the bottom of the page at
http://emcesd.com[1] is the link to the article. The direct link is:
http://emcesd.com/tt2009/tt010109.htm[2]

Technical Tidbit - January 2009
Injection of ESD Current Into Cables Using Capacitance
(a useful ESD troubleshooting tool)

Abstract: When a piece of equipment is subjected to ESD, the cause of the
resulting system response can be difficult to find because the ESD event
couples to many parts of the system, not just the place where the event
happened. A technique is described that allows ESD energy to be coupled onto
system cables, one at a time. Doing so can identify sensitive cables that
maybe contributing to an ESD problem.

Also, I am trying a new way (for me) to deliver a seminar on ESD, combining
aday of my material with a day presented by a  noted expert in the materials
field, Bob Vermillion. If interested the URL is:

http://emcesd.com/pdf/NewportESD.pdf[3]

or look for the picture of the Newport, CA (Orange County) sunset on my
website[4].

Have a Happy New Year!

Doug -- ------------------------------------------------------- ___ _ Doug
Smith \ / ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _
TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 |
q-----() | o | Email: doug@xxxxxxxxxx[5] \ _ / ] \ _ / Website:
http://www.dsmith.org[6]

--- Links ---
   1 http://emcesd.com