[SI-LIST] Tribute to Andy Hish

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 21:02:23 -0800

Hi All,

Andy Hish passed away this last week. He was a true pioneer in the
fields of high frequency measurement, EMC, and ESD. I have posted a
podcast tribute to him on my podcast site at http://emcesd-podcast.com
. The audio stream is the latest one dated March 4, 2006. Right click
to save or left click to play in the browser without saving.

The podcast (Internet audio stream in mp3 format) is an interview with
Michael King, a close friend of Andy. In the interview, Michael
recalls some of Andy's major contributions to the field of high
frequency (very high, even by today's standards) measurements, EMC and
ESD. There is a great piece technical history here.

Some of the questions answered in the interview:

What was the Stoddard Aircraft Radio Company?

Why was Andy's ESD simulator, designed decades ago, far more advanced
than anything we have today?

What happened to his ESD simulator design and why are we not using it
today?

I am very happy to capture the engineering history that was Andy
Hish's technical life and hope you enjoy listening to it.

Doug
     ___          _       Doug Smith
      \          / )      P.O. Box 1457
       =========          Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _       TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \     Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |    Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /     Website: http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: