[SI-LIST] Re: Transformer Hum

  • From: steve weir <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 16:59:08 -0700

John, that is not quite right.  What you describe is the ordinary behavior
of a mag-amp.  The mechanical force is proportional to B squared.  When the
material saturates, the slope of B/H ( inductance ) drops.  So, while I,
and consequently H rise rapidly, B and the mechanical force do not.  If you
want to think about this intuitively consider that an electromagnet does
not increase markedly in strength once it saturates, the wires just heat up
rapidly.
Regards,

Steve.

Steve Weir