[SI-LIST] Re: Trace width @ frequency

  • From: "Yuriy Shlepnev" <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Preethi Ramaswamy'" <preethi.gowtham@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:02:07 -0700

Hi Preethi,

The characteristic impedance of strip line does not change much starting
from about 100 MHz up to about 10-20 GHz for a typical PCB or packaging
trace cross-section (sometime even up to 40 GHz). The smaller the cross
section size, the smaller the change. The smaller the dielectric loss, the
smaller the change. For a strip line, it depends mostly on the dielectric
dispersion - decrease of dielectric constant with the frequency lead to
slightly smaller per unit length capacitance and slightly larger impedance.
Though, it is typically small (within 1%) in the 1-10 GHz frequency range.
The change of characteristic impedance is even smaller in micro-strip
configurations due to the fact that the decrease in dielectric constant is
compensated by the high-frequency dispersion (electric field concentration
in dielectric with the larger permittivity) due to inhomogeneous dielectric.
The high-frequency dispersion effect is also noticeable in some strip-line
configurations with inhomogeneous dielectrics (layers with more glass or
more resin).

To figure out the actual change of impedance over the spectrum of your
signal, I would recommend you to compute it at a few frequencies critical
for your application. Just make sure that the tool you use has appropriate
model for the analysis of t-line with the effect of dielectric dispersion
and high-frequency dispersion for micro-strip configurations. The definition
of the characteristic impedance is also important factor for larger
cross-sections or at high frequencies.

Best regards,
Yuriy Shlepnev
www.simberian.com