[SI-LIST] Re: Trace layout

  • From: Hassan Ali <hali@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:36:31 -0400

Khalid,

Signals at 2.5Gbps (400ps bit width) will most likely have rise/fall times
of 100ps or less. That means, the bandwidth of the signal is around 3.5GHz
(based on BW=0.35/Tr rule) corresponding to an effective wavelength of just
about 4 cm on typical board materials.

effective wavelength = speed of light in vacuum/[BW*sqrt(effective
dielectric constant)]

A copper trace length of about quarter wavelength, 1 cm in this case, (and
multiples of quarter wavelength) is a perfect antenna. So traces on such a
board will radiate like hell and they will certainly pose a big EMI problem
if in (unshielded) microstrip format. If in stripline format they will still
radiate but they are somewhat shielded by the stripline upper and bottom
copper planes. Even with striplines you have to use other EMI shielding
solutions because the radiation doesn't just come from traces - high speed
devices and connectors, also radiate - some of them very badly.

Hassan.