[SI-LIST] Trace layout

  • From: Khalid Ansari <khalida@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:42:28 -0700

I attended a presentation where the speaker mentioned that for signals
running around 2.5 Gbps you should not use microstrip it should always
be stripline.  Is this true, if so why?

If a board doesn't have an EMI issue then it should be OK to use microstrip.
Also you get around 150 ps/in delay in microstrip compared to almost
200 ps/in in stripline.  Unless you use some sort of edge mounted connector
that has connections on layers where you are laying out your striplines
you should try to use microstrip otherwise you will be going through quite
a bit of vias?????  Is the effect of the via that drastic? I have come across
people with different opinions on this question.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Khalid