[SI-LIST] Re: Trace Width @ 3Gb/s

  • From: "Ingraham, Andrew" <Andrew.Ingraham@xxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 13:31:43 -0400

Interesting ... we've got two arguments going.  One that the problem is
a DC level shift caused by being AC coupled.  The other that it is high
frequency attenuation due to skin effect and/or dielectric loss.  The
first says it's a high-pass, the other that it's a low-pass.  Both
effects cause ISI.

You say the error occurs *at* the first 1 after a string of 0's.  If the
problem is only DC wander, then I would think the error would happen on
one of those 0's, or maybe the next 0 after the 1; but the 1 itself
should come through very reliably.  But if you see that the 1 itself is
too weak, then I think it looks more like HF attenuation.  The bit rate
exceeds the bandwidth.  That could be skin effect, dielectric, or
impedance discontinuities (i.e. pads, connectors).

Regards,
Andy

List archives are viewable at: