[SI-LIST] Trace Capacitance(to GND) and Trace Inductance

  • From: Praveen Kumar <praveenkumardr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:16:15 -0700

Hi All,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem1.
To find capacitance(to GND) and loop inductance for a trace around 3-3.5
inches long. I generated Z parameters Z11 and Z12.

I calculated C (using C=1/(2*pi*f*Z12) to be 11.8 pf and L (L=Z11/(2*pi*f)
to be 26.4 nH.
Are these calculations correct?
For capacitance calculation the Z12 (open circuit) parameter can be used.
But for inductance calculation (since I need to short the far end of the
transmission line ) can i still use Z11 despite knowing that it is open
circuit parameter but assuming at higher frequencies the far end capacitor
acts as short.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem2
Till 200 MHz both Z11 and Z12 follow one another overlapping each other
(this makes sense because till this frequency(200Mhz) Inductive reactance
has not come into play)
After 200 MHz falling Z11 dips further to lower impedance where as falling
Z12 curve picks up and increases. I was expecting the opposite behavior
(meaning Z11 to behave like Z12 and similarly Z12 to behave like Z11).
Because I thought Z11=n*XL/2 + N*Xc & Z12=n*Xc
which means Z11 goes higher than Z12 when inductive reactance has come into
play.

(Here I'm assuming Transmission line to be n series of T sections with its
arms being XL/2 (inductive reactance per section ) and Xc being capacitve
reactance per section, so the effective Z parameters for n sections add up.)

here is the link to the Impedance plot.
http://postimg.org/image/ibp5qf1cd/

Thank you,
Praveen