[SI-LIST] Re: Tools to Create IBIS Models

  • From: "Tom Dagostino" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <MikonCons@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:12:48 -0800

Mike

There are several errors I have seen in SPICE descriptions of I/O buffers.
Missing clamps is just one example.  More important are the basic issues
with correlation between the IV curves that SPICE predicts and what we have
actually measured.  I have downloaded IBIS models from manufacturer's web
pages.  I have compared those IV tables with measurements I have made on
sample ICs with lot date codes near the published dates of those IBIS
models.  Sometimes there is good agreement.  In many cases I've seen room
temperature, nominal voltage IV measured curves that fall outside the limits
of the Min/Max of the SPICE extraction.  Typically the measured curves were
stronger than the max in the SPICE derived model.

There are two ways that Teraspeed Labs has made min/typ/max IBIS models from
measurement.  One is taking a sample in characterizing it over temperature
and voltage and stating in the model that the min and max represent voltage
and temperature only.  Over the years we have seen many die from many
different lots of the same manufacturing lots.  We have noticed that there
is very good consistency over time of the performance of the I/O buffers
unless there was an obvious process change.  Modern IC process tend to be
very consistent.  I've also had IC vendors or their fabless customers tell
me that there is not much variation between lots.

The other way we have made Min/typ/max models is to get process skew ICs.
We measure different process corners to get the different IBIS corners.
This is easy to get corner lots for a CMOS process if they want to spend the
time but difficult for the bipolar processes.

Tom Dagostino
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
Device Modeling Division
13610 SW Harness Lane