[SI-LIST] Re: Tools to Create IBIS Models

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:34:24 EST

In a message dated 3/21/2004 10:37:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
If a Spice model is created with impropper assumptions or by leaving out
important elements of the circuits (like ESD structures) it will not be
very accurate.  IBIS models, on the other hand, can be created directly
from measurement and are as accurate as the measurements we take.
Teraspeed Labs  has measurement based IBIS models that accurately
reflect the device operation.  With full process corner silicon, we have
developed models which are more accurate than the original Spice models
(as reported by our customers, the IC vendors themselves.)
**************
Scott:

You are right on target re: ESD structures. I have found the clamping
networks (or lack of inclusion of their affects in the IBIS models) are a very
common
source of error. It is these very networks that contribute the maximum
variation of driver and receiver output/input capacitance as a function of
signal
voltage, which in turn alter the rising and falling edges of the signals. That
is one of the key elements in my paper.

Some of your comments raised my eyebrows a bit..."IBIS models, on the other
hand, can be created directly from measurement and are as accurate as the
measurements we take.
Teraspeed Labs  has measurement based IBIS models that accurately reflect the
device operation....and..." If you want to know if your IBIS model is
accurate, do the same, or create it directly from measurements, as we do."

I have seen and appreciated your modeling work (which IMHO was reflected in
one of the best papers at DesignCon 2004), but I am puzzled as to how one would
extrapolate lab measurements to models that correctly reflect/predict the
corners of silicon processes. I would think that any reasonable number of
measurements on real devices would still fall within the one-sigma range of
performance. I have used model parameter extrapolations (based on historically
documented process tolerances supplied by cooperative silicon vendors) for very
critical modeling applications, but there is always some inherent error risk in
those extrapolations. I also found that my clients were initially reluctant to
add
compensating design margins (with its attendant cost impact) when such
extrapolations were not confirmed by room ambient lab tests. (But they
ultimately
agreed because of the criticality of their application.)

Respectfully,

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List FAQ wiki page is located at:
                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org