[SI-LIST] Re: Tools to Create IBIS Models

  • From: MikonCons@xxxxxxx
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:09:25 EST

In a message dated 3/22/2004 6:32:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx writes:
We can't say any more that IBIS is not capable of this and that,
or not accurate, etc...  It is now entirely up to the model maker
to come up with a model that is accurate enough for their needs.
The question now is how do we write our models and make them
accurate enough for their purpose.  There is a lot to learn in
this respect, and I am keeping my eyes open.  I would like to
encourage any contribution in this respect in any forum, such as
these email discussion groups, IBIS summits, and the like.
**********
Arpad, I totally agree. I like to participate in any discussions that
increase the knowledge and expertise of contributing members to the SI List
through
shared experiences, original analyses, and open discussion of the accompanying
rationale. Just to assure clarification, I appreciate and acknowledge the many
efforts and contributions of the people who have created and continually
refine the IBIS movement.
My activity that led to the development of a unique IBIS-to-SPICE conversion
technique was born of necessity over three years ago, when the depth and
quality of available IBIS models was inadequate for my purposes. My clients
could
not wait for new updates to the IBIS specification and the subsequent delays
for vendor implementation of same. Nor did the semiconductor vendors make it
any
easier to obtain timely NDAs for (generally encrypted) H-SPICE files. (I do
not use H-SPICE unless furnished in-house by a client.) I refined the
conversion technique and successfully completed analyses and new design tasks
support my client's schedules. In the process, I was able to detect errors and
inconsistencies in published IBIS models, as well as partition and alter the
model
structure to yield more flexibility in building end-to-end signal paths. After
working with a few IC vendors, I further refined the structure to yield
variable capacitive loading associated with the clamping structures of the
devices
to achieve better model predictions for the ever higher switching slew rates
of new devices.  The newly released IBIS specification (and how it is
interpreted) may or may not solve all of the known deficiencies (once it is
implemented
by the IC vendors). Yet, I am sure it is a step in the right direction for
improved modeling flexibility and accuracy.

As time goes by, hopefully the IBIS model structure will surpass my
individual techniques. With my current activities, it may well be this fall
before I
have a complete presentation to go along with an updated paper I have now
planned.

Respectfully,

Mike

Michael L. Conn
Owner/Principal Consultant
Mikon Consulting

*** Serving Your Needs with Technical Excellence ***

List FAQ wiki page is located at:
                http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org