[SI-LIST] Re: To remove reference planes under the gold finger areas

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "steve weir" <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:50:25 -0700

Sorry if it seemed like I made some kind of blanket statement that
altering the image plane never makes a difference in crosstalk.  I meant
to apply the statement only for this particular case - ground plane
under the gold fingers of an FBD connector.  Before performing the
measurements, I wouldn't have bet tons of money that the crosstalk to
the other side of the connector wouldn't increase appreciably (though I
didn't think it would).  My measurements showed it didn't.

I want to also note that I am not responsible for the generic FBD
recommendation to cut back those fingers.  My specific area of interest
involved a connector we enabled for Logic Analyzers.  I assume, however,
that the folks responsible for the generic solution had similar
experience to mine.  I offered an affirmation to the original
question/answer based on similar personal experience.

I believe the reason we don't see much increase in crosstalk is due to
the fact that: 1) the connector makes contact above where the ground
plane is trimmed back, 2) the majority of the return current at this
point is through the coplanar fingers, and 3) the path was already so
disrupted...  Mostly conjecture, based on trying to "Be the signal" (as
Eric would say - maybe his next book will be "The inner game of S.I."?).

Jeff Loyer