[SI-LIST] Re: Tip and Ring routing consideration

  • From: hariharan <hariharan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: suganthi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:29:30 +0530

Hi Suganthi,

The traces have to be wide enough (40 mil) to meet the isolation parameters.
There is a good application note with Intel about Layout consideration for
their E1/T1 transceivers, you can use that as reference.

Regards
hariharan

From: Sol.Tatlow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: 06/29/05 15:12:13

To: gzilber@xxxxxxxxxx; billw@xxxxxxxxxxx; si-list

Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Fixing a black pad

Hi Gil,

The 'Black Pad' phenomonen is well known in the industry - the root

of the problem is generally the nickel plating applied during the

ENIG (electroless nickel immersion gold) plating process, where a

corroded nickel layer leads to weak solder joints after assembly.

This phenomonen therefore only affects boards with ENIG plating,

and although reflow temperature/profiles may exacerbate the problem,

they are not the real cause.

The worst part is, you cannot detect it optically before assembly -

it only becomes apparent when the joints fail, as you found out.

And, if you have this problem with one board, you will most likely

have more boards coming back to you with the same problem, since it

is related to the plating bath (which was no doubt used to produce

a whole batch of your boards).

AFTER failure, there is not too much you can do about it - with an

aggressive flux you may succeed in soldering the component back

onto the board, but since the problem is with the nickel plating

(which, due to corrosion, allows the copper underneath to interact

with the joint), reworks are likely to suffer a similar fate (even

if the reworked component SEEMS to be properly soldered). PLUS,

even if only one BGA on the board has failed, if there are others,

they are also likely to fail at some point. The safest solution,

if also the most expensive (short term!), is to replace the board.

For the future, since finding a PCB manufacturer who can produce a

reliable ENIG finish is easier said than done (not because they

don't exist, rather, because you only know if they weren't reliable

when they prove it!!), for the future you may want to consider

immersion tin or silver. These have other disadvantages (there is no

perfect surface finish), but they tend to give overall better results.

The best thing to do is do some Googling/reading about the subject,

and decide on the basis of your specific needs.

____________________________________

Sol Tatlow, M.Eng. (Oxon)

ProDesign Electronic & CAD Layout GmbH

Product Developer