[SI-LIST] Timing Methodology (renamed from Question about Simulation in Spectraquest)

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Jonathan Dowling <jdowlin2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:08:04 -0700

Jonathan,

> Are you willing to wager that these "legacy" parameters
> will be redefined in such a way that they are only valid
> at the input of the driver and output of the receiver?
> If not, how would the logic-to-logic timing methodology be
> applied in conjunction with the DDR-II spec?

I believe that unless changed in some realistic way, the timing
specs will remain similar to legacy specifications.  Unfortunately,
we cannot decouple specifications from simulation and characterization
methodology.

I agree that for memory devices it is unlikely that we will be able
to obtain timing numbers at internal nodes of devices.  However,
for a 600 MT/s bus, we cannot just stand by and allow timing to
be specified at the pin only, without some bounds on the package,
simulation and testing environment.  30pf or even 0pF loads do
not cut it.

I can design two parts which meet the same Tco specifications in
a tester environment, yet have significantly different in-system performance.
DDR-I places a bound on the timing and on the capacitance of the
device. It places no bounds on package inductance or coupling coefficients.
This makes it quite possible to design devices that have significantly bad
signal integrity and timing performance in a real system, and no
way to characterize these "things" in simulation.

If we cannot specify the timing back to the internal nodes of a device,
(at least for commodity parts), we can better specify the method for
measurement and the bounds on the packages being used.  (Or we
can specifiy that accurate coupled package models must be supplied
by all vendors.)  With this sort of data, we can then back-out the
package contribution to timing.

I guess what I would advocate is a more complex test load, which
accurately specifies the package, the test load on the package
(which I would advocate being 50 ohms to Vtt or whatever) and a
series of worst case test scenarios that will be used to characterize
the device in the package.  If these are specified, then it is quite
possible to deembed the actual silicon timing.

As a straw man, I would suggest:

1) 50 ohm loads at the package balls(pins) into the standard termination
   reference.

2) Specific data switching patterns across the entire device that min and
   max timing parameters are specified against. (For example, even mode
   aggressor switching, odd mode aggressor switching, all I/O's on device
   switching, only one I/O on a device switching, only a specific number
   of I/O's on a device switching ... etc.)

   Worst case crosstalk pushout will normally occur when a small group of
   adjacent I/O pads switch, while the remainder of the device is quiescent.
   This causes minimal power and ground colapse on the I/O rail and fastest
   driver slew rate.

   Worst case SSO pushout will normally occur when all I/O pads on a device
   switch simultaneously in the same direction.

   There is often a combination of SSO and crosstalk conditions that are
   even worse in terms of jitter and noise.

3) A coupled model of the package which has been correlated to measurements.

With the above 3 items specified, it is then possible to calibrate timing
condtion at the package ball to the measured and guaranteed performance of
the device.

Regards,

scott

--