[SI-LIST] Time domain modeling of non linear device

  • From: Eric Monteiro <Eric.Monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:37:27 -0500

Hello,
I am trying to model a linear EQ while capturing its non linear behavior.  In
terms of small signal, I have captured the devices impulse response, as well as
is DC in/out table which I approximated with a tanh() function.

However, I am not entirely sure how to use this information correctly.  I.e.
The impulse response when convolved with < 200mVp-p differential input swing
generates the correct results. However, above 200mVp-p non linearity's come
into play.  This is where I planned to use the tanh() function, but it's not
like I can statically add the tanh() to the convolved output without further
modification since it would destroy the results below 200mVp-p.

This is my first attempt at such a model, does anyone have any tips on how I
can combine the information I've gathered or provide other examples on
capturing non-linear behavior.  The end goal is to perform this analysis
entirely in the time domain.

Best Regards,
Eric

List technical documents are available at: