[SI-LIST] Re: Thick vs. thin diff. pairs

  • From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark_Burford@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:36:41 -0500

Mark,

The proof is very simple as long as we assume lossless or low-loss cases
(so ultimetely it is an approximation, but a decent one for many practical
scenarios).

The characteristic impedance is Zo=sqrt(L/C).  The propagation delay
is tpd=sqrt(LC).  The prop delay depends on the length and velocity
of wave, which is speed of light divided by sqrt(Er).  From these two
expressions, C=tpd/Zo, independently of the cross section
dimensions.

Regarding wider traces giving more attenuation: for a matched trace,
the attenuation in dB is 4.35*(G(f)*Zo+R(f)/Zo), where G(f) is the
admittance due to dielectric loss.  Furthermore, G(f)=w*C*tan_d.
So based on all of the above, the attenuation of a matched trace
due to dielectric losses does not depend on the trace width as long
as the impedance is kept constant.  The source of the confusion
might be that for a wider trace (if we keep the dielectric height
the same so that we allow for a lower characteristic impedance), the
G(f) conductivity term increases (but not the attenuation).

Regards,
Istvan

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: