[SI-LIST] Re: Thermal properties of old pcbs

  • From: "Lee " <leeritchey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <billh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>, <dbrooks9@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 11:56:43 -0800

As has already been pointed our FR-4 or FR-3 are UL classes that speak to
flame retardant characteristics of laminates.  There are in excess of 30
materials that satisfy the FR-4 requirement, so using this as a call out for
materials to be used in a PCB amounts to no specification at all.  For some
reason, our industry has decided that FR-4 is sufficient call out when
purchasing PCBs.   That is relying on the fabricator to make the choices.
As can be seen from other discussions on the reflector, this is a very risky
way to do business.