[SI-LIST] Thermal analysis

  • From: Bharathkumar Raju <bharathrajupcb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Signal Integrity <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 22:04:43 +0530 (IST)

Dear List Members,
        Our new product fails in thermal. The plastic casing
temperature reaches 60 deg. 'C' (room temperature about 24 deg. 'C') and
temperature at the surface of one of the 4 IC reaches about 73 deg. 'C'. The
plastic casing hard tooling is finalised and redesigning the tool is not
feasible at this stage.
         I would like to know others experience in a similar
situation. Will it be possible to find a solution by doing thermal simulation /
analysis and by redoing the PCB layout (size, thickness are fixed). So far we
have not done any thermal simulation for any of our product and we don't have
any exposure to thermal simulation.
         Functionally the product is a success and tested for about 96
hours continuously at 25 deg. 'C'  room tempertaure without any issues. We are
planning to run functional tests at 45 deg. 'C' for about a week to assess the
reliability at elevated temperature. But the user feedback will be negative
because of the heat (about 60 deg. 'C') at the device housing.
    My question to the forum is "What is the confidence level in finding a
solution through thermal simulation / analysis with the given constraints."
Bharath

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on
http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: