[SI-LIST] Re: Theory v. practice, following Re: DesignCon quote

  • From: Faraydon Pakbaz <pakbazf@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 20:51:33 -0500

OK OK...Hold on a second happy quoters ....We are all exited and impressed
over something that is not a true or false statement but it is a
paradox....

Statements like:

"All simulations are wrong but some simulations are useful"

or

"All models are wrong but some models are useful"

make no sense consider the following:

  Epimenides was a Cretan who made one immortal statement: "All Cretans are
liars."

Did he told the truth or lied?

The answer is neither. Think about it.

When someone makes a statement about simulation and model like that, it
means he/she is a very
frustrated person( it happens all the time in signal integrity analysis).
If I want to have a perfect
model or perfect simulation, I need to model or include every variable in
my simulation or model.
So if I want to spend the time to do that, I might as well built the system
or design etc. I will save
lot of time to market and I will be a hero. Read "Kurt Godel"
incompleteness theorem. No axiomatic
system can be perfect because it will be self reflecting and will create
paradox. Bertrand Russell
and Alfred North Whitehead made such a false claim in their "Principia
Mathematica" and Godel
put the end to it. The art of matter is how to use 7 variables instead of
100 variables to get an insight
into the design or system by simulation. Take simulation and modeling
seriously. Very very seriously.

Regards;

Don Pakbaz

Silicon Solutions Engineering
IBM Systems & Technology Group

             "Grossman, Brett"
             <brett.grossman@i
             ntel.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             si-list-bounce@fr                                          cc
             eelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [SI-LIST] Re: Theory v. practice,
             03/30/2006 07:32          following Re: DesignCon quote
             PM

             Please respond to
              brett.grossman

Amen, to see the quotes (I am a collector).

One of my favorites ( I would attribute to Scott McMorrow on this list
just because it was the first place I saw it).

Relating to the success of some who are perhaps not the most deserving.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes"