[SI-LIST] Re: Theory v. practice, following Re: DesignCon quote

  • From: "Ing. Giancarlo Guida" <gianguida@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Randol@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 16:59:19 -0100

Hi folks,
I'd like to add my two cents to this interesting discussion.
 From my point of view the most important quality of a model ( and
therefore simulation)
it is not its accuracy...
but its simplicity.

A smart engineer is able to create a simple model to have a look at
complex reality
because he knows which variable count more than other
what effects are more important than the details
and will understand from simple model how to manage the reality.

A "bad" engineer will be afraid of everything and will not be able to
eliminate
unnecessary details form his model
he will always look for super fast machine and super accurate simulator
just because he is not sure what really counts in the reality he is studying
and is better to wait a couple of days of calculation time that think
about his design...:-)))))

A good model will never be simple enough

Giancarlo

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org