[SI-LIST] Re: The model of Cat 5 UTP cable

  • From: "Jerry Martinson" <jmartinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <julia.nekrylova@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:56:18 -0700

Julia,

I'm trying to do this too and I'm finding that this is a very complex
subject (although I didn't think it would be easy).  Depending on what
you want to model, there are a variety of models and methods to use and
only some are openly described in the literature.  There are many types
of UTP cable installed in the field and they have different parameters.

It would be nice if someone had done some sort of modal decomposition
technique to extract all the parameters of UTP cable, do this to a
variety of cables that are out there in the field, and develop "corner
case" cable SPICE models to cover this so that we could simulate to
them.  This is a science project beyond my available resources but if
anyone knows of an effort to do this that is described in a book
somewhere, I'd like to hear about it.

I've also heard from a similar post to check out the following book:

Transmission Line Design Handbook (Artech House Microwave Library)
by Brian C. Wadell.  I ordered this but I haven't gotten it yet so I'm
not sure how well it covers the subject.

There are some models centered around ESD cable discharge that I think
Rick Brooks from Nortel developed found at:
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ad_hoc/copperdis/public/docs/cat5_r
lc.rlc
http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ad_hoc/copperdis/public/docs/

I'm not sure if there are any intellectual property use restrictions on
using this model - you'd have to double-check this.

Since I don't have access to HSPICE anymore, sometimes I've used this
for quick, crude approximations for two-wires of UTP but it has a number
of modeling deficiencies:

.subckt utp_one_foot in1 in2 out1 out2
x1 in1 in2 1 2 utp_one_inch
x2 1 2 3 4 utp_one_inch