[SI-LIST] The YACC-compatible Parser Generator produces errors whenprocessing the ICM lex&Yacc files [resend]

  • From: Kelly Green <kgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Shulong.Wu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 24 Mar 2004 04:04:31 -0800

Shulong.Wu@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi all
>
>When I use bison to convert the ICM parser Yacc file (ibis-icm-yacc.y)
>to C program, like this:
>
>/usr/bin/bison -d -p ICM ibis-icm-yacc.y
>
>It produces many errors, like these:
>
>ibis-icm-yacc.y:587: invalid @-construct
>
>ibis-icm-yacc.y:587: $. is invalid

I am using Bison version 1.35 under Linux.  The makefile converts the
yacc .y source file into .c with the following command and result.

bison -y -d ibis-icm-yacc.y
conflicts:  32 shift/reduce, 10 reduce/reduce

I can only presume your source has somehow become corrupted, or you are
possibly using an incompatible version of bison.

Please ensure that you are using the correct archive.  Archives were
provided for both windows (.zip), and unix (.tar) systems.  They differ
in line termination sequences (cr/lf for windows, lf for unix), and may
not be processed properly if, for example, files from the windows
archive are processed under unix or vice-versa.

Please also note: the Makefile post processes the bison output file to
produce the final ibis-icm-yacc.c file, so several more steps are
required if you are compiling by hand and not using Make.

Since the ibis-icm-yacc.c output file is provided in the distribution,
it is not actually necessary to use bison on the source '.y' file at
all.  You can simply compile the provided .c file.  The use of bison is
required only if you must modify the original .y file.

Finally, the syntax in question, '@$', is a location reference
(line/column) for the target of a rule, and is most assuredly a
legitimate construction.  It should not cause bison to error out.

If you have further questions, or additional information that might shed
some light on this problem, feel free to contact me, I will be happy to
help you sort out the problem.

Regards - Kelly Green

--
Kelly Green <kgreen22@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>