[SI-LIST] Re: TLM: Laplace and discrete difference equations

  • From: "Lars Juul" <write2larsj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, richardg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:24:00 +0200

Yuriy and Richard,
Which books on the TLM method would you recommend for application-oriented
people wanting to implement their own TLM code?

So far I identified:
"Electromagnetic Analysis Using Transmission Line Variables" By Maurice
Weiner (ISBN 981024438X)

"Die "Transmission Line Matrix" (TLM) Methode im Zeitbereich" By Ulf Müller
(ISBN 3817115164)

Thanks in advance,

Lars Juul

2007/5/14, Yuriy Shlepnev <shlepnev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Richard,
>
> There are no universal recommendations on the step and area sizes. It
> depends on multiple details of the algorithm and implementation such as
> the
> boundary condition approximation, type of basis functions or order of the
> local approximation. You have to investigate the dependency of the
> characteristic impedance from the step size and from the area size to get
> an
> idea on accuracy. It is called convergence study. Fix the area size for
> instance and solve the problem multiple times with different grids (keep
> the
> same high accuracy for the iterative solver or use a direct solver). Plot
> the impedance vs. step size - it will give you rough idea on the method
> convergence from the step size. Use a geometry with known answer to
> validate
> your solution and to estimate accuracy (an ideal 50-Ohm strip line for
> instance).  Richardson's extrapolation can be used sometime to find the
> convergence limit and to estimate the accuracy for complex geometries
> without comparisons.
> In general, the convergence study and comparisons with results obtained
> analytically or with other methods are essential steps to validate a field
> solver algorithm and to find balance between accuracy and performance.
>
> Best regards,
> Yuriy Shlepnev
> Simberian Inc.
> http://www.simberian.com/