[SI-LIST] TL paramters conversion from EBD to ADS

  • From: Arrigo Benedetti <arrigo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 12:26:20 -0700

Dear list,

I am trying to convert transmission line parameters from an IBIS EBD
file describing a memory
module to the format used by ADS. I could not find a distributed RLC
model in ADS so I
am planning to use the TLIN (Ideal 2-Terminal Transmission Line)
component. The parameter
of this compoment are

Characteristic impedance Z
Electrical length E
Reference frequency for electrical length (F)

Now, the electrical length is defined as beta*l where beta is the
imaginary part
of the propagation constant and is given by the expression

beta=sqrt(1/2*(sqrt(omega^4(LC)^2 + omega^2*(RC)^2)+omega^2*(LC)^2))

where R,L,C are from the EBD file. The line is lossy, so the
characteristic impedance is complex,
however ADS accepts just one value for Z. Is this the magnitude? The
documentation does not
say that... Also: can I set the reference frequency to any value and
just plug this value into the expression
for beta?

Thanks
-Arrigo

List technical documents are available at: