[SI-LIST] Re: TDR- rise time-channel bandwidth and speed

  • From: Aubrey Sparkman <asparky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fuyejun@xxxxxxxxx" <fuyejun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 17:04:54 -0600

Johnny,

Let me be the first to say, "it depends..."

From a design perspective, you want to want to take the reciprocal of the
fastest rise time your system needs to support and use that as your design
bandwidth.

From an analysis perspective, Ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish.
Case 1) you want to see the channel as you signal will see it.  Then filter the
TDR edge rate to match.   Case 2) you want to find every discontinuity possible
to get the channel as clean as possible.   Then don't filter the TDR edge at
all.  But as others have already told you, you may get more detail than you
want.

Good Luck!

Aubrey

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 12, 2013, at 3:21 PM, Yejun Fu <fuyejun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Seems the more you want to dig and clear the more confuse you will have.
> Some one tells me the more sharp rise time the better, it offers more
> details that a lower rise time can't provide. someone says they prefer to
> have filters to make a lower rise time to do TDR for a differential channel.
>
> I want to know what is the right relation between the speed of signal
> running through the channel and the rise time  and the bandwidth related to
> rise time and channel.
>
> Thanks
>
> Johnny

> List forum  is accessible at: