[SI-LIST] Re: TDR and line losses

  • From: Steve Corey <steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:15:46 -0800

List members -- this is a repost since my original post of this message
has been in email zombie land for several days.  My apologies if you
receive duplicate messages.

****

Steve -- Skin effect tends to decrease inductance as frequency
increases.  At low frequencies, fields are able to penetrate the
imperfect conductors, so there is magnetic flux present internal to
those conductors.  At higher frequencies, the fields are unable to
penetrate the conductors.  You can think of it as reduced flux linkage
between conductors, smaller effective loop area, or less energy storage,
but the net effect is decreased inductance.  As a result, characteristic
impedance decaying to a high-frequency asymptote is not uncommon.  One
text that addresses the interplay between skin effect and inductance is
"Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines" by Clayton R. Paul.

    -- Steve

Steven D. Corey, Ph.D.
Time Domain Analysis Systems, Inc.
"The Interconnect Analysis Company."
http://www.tdasystems.com

email: steven.corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
phone: (503) 246-2272
fax:   (503) 246-2282

steve weir wrote:
 > Dan,  if we take those assumptions, then yes the jwC in the denominator
 > reduces the net impedance, however the effect is pretty slight,
taking off
 > perhaps one ohm in the range of 100MHz to 1GHz, and perhaps 0.1 ohms
from
 > 1GHz to 5GHz.  However, I think it is disingenuous, because skin
effect is
 > going to tend to push us right back up to level and then some.
 >
 > Regards,
 >
 > Steve.
 >
 > At 11:54 AM 11/24/2003 -0800, Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh wrote:
 >
 >>Hi Steve,
 >>
 >>Let me clarify my statement using the following expression for
 >>the characteristic impedance:
 >>
 >>Zc = sqrt[(R+jwL)/(G+jwC)]
 >>
 >>In general, all RLGC parameter can be frequency varying but
 >>we can safely assume they are constant for our discussion.
 >>Strictly speaking the following my argument is true when the
 >>dc conductance is very low so let me assume that G is zero for
 >>this discussion. Then,
 >>
 >>Zc = sqrt[R/jwC+L/C]
 >>
 >>Now it is clear that Zc is larger than Zc_inf (=sqrt(L/C)) when
 >>frequency decreases due to R term.
 >>I think the confusion here is that you were mentioning the "impedance
 >>of line" not the characteristic impedance line.
 >>
 >>If I somehow missed your point, we can discuss this one off-line.
 >>Thanks,
 >>
 >>___________________________
 >>Kyung Suk (Dan) Oh, Ph.D.
 >>Pricipal Signal Integrity Engineer
 >>Rambus Inc.
 >>doh@xxxxxxxxxx
 >>650-947-5363
 >>
 >>steve weir wrote:
 >>
 >>>Dan,
 >>>Language may be an issue here, but respectfully, your description seems
 >>>inverted.  The low frequency limit of inductive reactance is zero.  The
 >>>low frequency limit of conductor resistance is the bulk resistance /
 >>>square.  Both of those value increase monotonically with frequency.
  I am
 >>>at a total loss for your statement:
 >>>"At these lower frequencies the characteristic impedance is larger than
 >>>Zc_inf due to the resistance term AND the internal inductance term."
 >>>How, is it possible for a series impedance composed of two parts that
 >>>each increases monotonically with frequency to have a higher value at
 >>>lower frequency than at high frequency?
 >>>Are you perhaps trying to express the shunt effects of dielectric
losses
 >>>at high frequency?
 >>>Regards,
 >>>
 >>>Steve.

However, the
will show

I expect

 >>>or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:
 >>>//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list
 >>>For help:
 >>>si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field
 >>>List technical documents are available at:
 >>>                http://www.si-list.org
 >>>List archives are viewable at:
 >>>                //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list
 >>>or at our remote archives:
 >>>(prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:
 >>>                http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu

 > List technical documents are available at:
 >                 http://www.si-list.org
 >
 > List archives are viewable at: