[SI-LIST] Re: TDR and S-parameter

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 09:26:24 -0700

Bala, the resistance gets added in both directions:  Lossless Tx line Z
+ 2X resistance.

Steve
On 10/1/2013 8:57 AM, bala wrote:
> Scott,
> As per my understanding,At high frequencies due to skin effect my electrons
> are  not utilizing my entire cross section and resistance increases.(As
> this is happening at high frequency I will call this as AC resistance).so
> my tdr impedance is my intrinsic impedance+ac resistance.
>
> bala
> On 30 Sep 2013 21:48, "Scott McMorrow" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Eric
>> This statement is not totally true:
>>
>> "Given this condition, the characteristic impedance read from the flat
>> region of the reflected signal will be independent of the rise time. It is
>> intrinsic to the interconnect."
>>
>> The characteristic impedance read from the flat region of the reflected
>> signal is independent of the rise time, and is the sum of the intrinsic
>> impedance of the flat region of the interconnect ... *plus ...* the
>> accumulated round trip DC resistance of the interconnect.
>>
>> This is is an important distinction.  Unless accumulated interconnect
>> resistance is removed from a TDR measurement, a TDR measurement always
>> indicates an impedance that is higher than the actual intrinsic impedance
>> of an interconnect section.  This accumulated resistance represents an
>> error in impedance measurements, and is often disregarded.  It becomes a
>>   significant error when TDR-ing structures which are fed by narrow traces.
>>   We experience this issue all the time when correlating measurements of
>> semiconductor packages with modeling.
>>

>> best regards,
>>
>> Scott
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Eric Bogatin <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bala-
>>>

>>> Do not confuse characteristic impedance with "impedance" when displayed
>> in
>>> TDR type measurement or simulation.
>>>

>>> The characteristic impedance of an interconnect only applies, by
>>> definition,
>>> to a uniform transmission line. If it is not uniform, it has no
>>> "characteristic" impedance. All you can do is sort of approximation the
>>> interconnect  as a uniform transmission line and then estimate the
>>> approximate characteristic impedance.
>>>

>>> However, every interconnect will reflect some signal from a 50 Ohm source
>>> due to its "instantaneous" impedance encountered by the step edge.
>>>

>>> The amount of reflected signal depends on the rise time of the signal,
>> the
>>> impedance profile and the electrical length of the interconnect.
>>>

>>> If you have a uniform transmission line, and the rise time of your step
>>> edge
>>> is short compared to its time delay, you will see a flat top or flat
>>> bottom.
>>>  From this reflected value, you can read off the front screen the
>>> characteristic impedance. Given this condition, the characteristic
>>> impedance
> [...]

Steve Weir
IPBLOX, LLC
1580 Grand Point Way
MS 34689
Reno, NV  89523-9998
www.ipblox.com

(775) 299-4236 Business
(866) 675-4630 Toll-free
(707) 780-1951 Fax

All contents Copyright (c)2013 IPBLOX, LLC.  All Rights Reserved.
This e-mail may contain confidential material.
If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy all records
and notify the sender.

List forum  is accessible at:

List archives are viewable at: