[SI-LIST] Re: TDR Resolution

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Moeller, Merrick" <mmoeller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:49:42 -0500

Merrick
That's what I suspected.  In that case, you need to reduce your problem
size to that of  retention structure surrounded by uniform impedance
crosssections.  Otherwise, you will obscure resolution of the retention
structure with other reflections.  If you want to TDR the assembly
without any spurious high frequencies then you will need to create a
custom TDR waveform that is created from a low pass filtered trapizoidal
edge.  You will also need to be sure that there sufficient mesh cells to
correctly discretize the structure you are simulating.  Depending upon
the geometry, this might be as few as two cells in each direction, but
quite posibly it could be more.  You can increase the mesh density
across the retention structure locally by selecting the component,
selecting its mesh properties and changing them.  Finally, you will need
to adjust your simulation frequency for meshing and your minimum mesh
step size to guarantee that the simulation will be performed at a high
enough bandwidth to resolve your TDR rising edge.

If you don't want to reduce your problem size by slicing the model, then
you can create the necessary waveforms in CST and then pass them back
through software the performs the reverse scattering algorihm and
provides a true impedance profile.  With a bit of data manipulation you
should be able to pass your data back through TDA iConnect.

In either case, your key to good results is to create a well filtered
TDR waveform at the appropriate edge rates, to control the mesh density
to gain the resolution you desire across your structure, and to set the
frequency and smallest mesh step size so that you have enought
simulation bandwidth.

scott

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: