[SI-LIST] Re: TDR Recommendations

  • From: "Loyer, Jeff" <jeff.loyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ray.haynes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "SI List" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:09:05 -0800

At the risk of being considered a renegade for addressing a technical =
issue in this forum... ;-)

I've used the 1st three that you list - they should be perfectly =
adequate for what you describe.  As far as I know, the 4th is just a =
nicer front-end. =20

One major challenge will be how to probe your signals, especially since =
you want to probe differentially (2 signal and 2 ground contacts =
simultaneously).  It's possible to position your probes manually for =
this, but is pretty demanding.  And, if you want to perform differential =
TDT (4 signal, 4 ground, simultaneously), I would say it's virtually =
impossible.  Using a probing station (and associated probes) is nicer, =
but expensive.  And you'll have to spend energy carefully designing your =
launch structures to match your probes. =20

If you're going the manual route, I'd point out that TEK just introduced =
a cheap (<$100, and please don't call me names for saying that) =
footswitch for the TDS8000 - IMHO one of the first great innovations of =
the 21st century, for TDR'ers.  And, semi-rigid coax works very well for =
a probe.  I had Microstock make some for me: (Microstock, Inc. =
SKRHSO32400-2, 50ohm Probe (.085")).

Jeff Loyer